07 September 2003

What has happened to me?

I was a kick-ass, do-it-all-myself single parent for several years. 5 years ago I met, and soon married Prince Consort. In that time I have completely become a total wimp. That is to say I am just no good at doing this alone any more. PC left for a 7 day bike trip that he will actually be gone for 10 days if you count travel and pre/post trip uselessness. I am freaking out. Already today - just under 12 hours since he has been gone and I am wondering how on earth I am going to survive this. I suppose it is made worse by the fact that I am isolated here in suburbia. During my days as a single mom I pretty much always lived in close proximity to my friends and within a couple minutes of various urban attractions. Now it takes 40 minutes driving to reach a friendly soul and the closest "attraction" (if you coud call it that) is a crappy ice-cream store next to the Blockbuster and a vacant building where a locally owned grocery store used to be. woo hoo. Yeah, that is what I need to lift my spirits...a big scoop of frozen-fat-butt-former and a stupid movie to sit upon said fat butt for a few hours. Of course, with a 2 year old there is very little real chance that I will actually be able to SIT for an entire movie.

I guess the biggest problem I am anticipating with this mini single parent stint is the sheer boredom and loneliness of it all. Even when I am irritated with Prince Consort and want nothing more than to hide in my room with the door locked (or rather - imagine the door is locked since we don't actually have a door knob on our bedroom door...). Even then I can take comfort in the fact that a real living and breathing adult person whom I find quite interesting and comforting is mere steps away. My formerly single and strong self is ashamed and embarrassed. What sort of pathetic excuse for a righteous woman am I?

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

/body>