01 December 2003

Creative Cover-ups for parenting mistakes

One of my big problems with my parenting is that I have a potty mouth. It was not a problem with Dylan and Kiah who never really cared to swear that much. Unless of course you count the time that Kiah, at age 3 1/2 stood on the porch and echoed my sentiments regarding the amount of precipitation you run across in an Pacific Northwest February. I can still see her little bobbed hair cut bouncing as she put her hands on her hips and shouted, "What the hells up with all this fuckin' rain?" Ah, yes not one of the finer things I taught my kids. But that was an isolated incident. Everyone was taken by surprise. Not so with Anja. Oh no, that girl is like a little parrot flitting about the house imitating everything I say. So I have had to create some creative language cover-ups.
My favorite:
What the hell = Up the Hill
Most recent:
Dumb Ass = Don't Ask
By no means a complete listing of my repetoire. These two seem to be a favorite of Dylan, who's 13 year old brain is particularly amused by them. We just shared a mother and daughter moment over these lovely little phrases. sigh. You take them when and wherever you can get them at this age! I think she feels a little grown up to be "in on the secret language" that grown-ups use. (or rather the secret language that she is aware of...she hasn't figured out some of our more sophisticated code yet) She even asked me to blog about it - so in her honor I ask that you share your creative language cover-ups and code words. Perhaps we will integrate them into our rotation.








0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

/body>