03 November 2003

Sometimes it takes a big brick hitting you on the head

I guess I am just a little slow. The Prince Consort tells me, my friends tell me, my therapist tells me and I even tell myself, but I never seem to get it. Until now. There is a very clear and obvious reason that I have a parlyizing fear of failure. It creeps into my dreams of things I want to do, taking over slowly but firmly until I have convinced myself to not even bother trying because I am just going to fail. No try=No fail. It sucks. I am determined to overcome it. Last night I got hit with the proverbial big brick on the head. It went like this:


The Goddess: Yes, I have been very busy lately. I am working on getting a new business started. I am going to be doing "XYZ", followed by a brief description of my plans.(details omitted until I am ready to unveil to a larger audience).

The Guilty Party: What is this going to cost you? Said not just with caution or concern, but with ridicule.

The Goddess: With blood boiling and head spinning with insult and anger Give me some credit will you? For god's sake, it isn't like I am some ignorant fool who is going to fall prey to a scam.

The Guilty Party: Well, you know the guy on TV who sells the packages that teach you how to buy real estate for profit, his program that costs $179 is selling on ebay for a penny!

The Goddess: That's nice. But no need to worry, this is not real estate, it is not a 'get rich quick' plan, it did not come from an info-mercial.

The Guilty Party: continues on with some witty anecdote about fools and their money

At this point I have stopped listening. My mind has left the building and I am envisioning myself sitting on my therapist's couch telling her about this episode. Another tale of woe to add to the long list of grievences against The Guilty Party. I can hear my therapist now..."What did you expect? When in your life has this person been supportive of something YOU believed in? Isn't this the person that just one week ago told you flat out that they have not ever and will never listen to you?" It is true. I walked right into this brick. It hurts, but I am not surprised.

It won't happen again. The brick has done its job.


Oh, and about my new venture....you can get a sneak peak here. Be sure to stay tuned for more updates!

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

/body>