25 February 2004

Something I have been thinking about....

I originally wrote this as a response on a list I post to. I had brought up the subject of my experience with PMS (which is pretty significant) and in doing so I stated "I can feel my Kundalini rising for a couple weeks until it feels like I am going to explode." Someone asked me to explain Kundalini.

Gulp......
Well.......

Not feeling at all qualified to offer an explanation of Kundalini, I replied as best as I could. It is a pretty simplistic interpretation of Kundalini as a contributing factor in PMS. To my surprise it has been positively received and after re-reading it a million times, I pushed my insecurities aside and have decided to share it with you....

Kundalini is, in very simplified terms, divine energy that is coiled
at the base of the spine. It is identified mostly as a feminine
energy of creativity, sexuality, and psychic experience, all of
which we tend to as a culture supress. Ideally, Kundalini rises out
of practice of various methods (ie. Kundalini yoga or meditation)
you bring it up gradually and with intention so you are able
to "pace" its rise and are prepared to deal with its emergence. It
can be quite powerful and if not handled with care can cause great
disruption in our lives.

As far as PMS with Kundalini goes....When we enter this phase of our
cylce our Kundalini rises and creates increased sexual energy in
keeping with our fertility and the instinct to procreate. It also
makes us sensetive to the proximity of others both physically and
psychically. A real paradox that can be hard to sort out. (I am sure
I am not alone in feeling like I want to 'jump' my partner but as
soon as we are done I want nothing to do with him during this time!)
Also for me, I am quite fiery and creative by nature and do allow my
Kundalini to rise with intention, but when it rises on its own it
can bring up all kinds of emotions and energy that I am not ready to
deal with. Thus creating mood swings, anger, depression.

I know that an important component of my problems with PMS stem from
my attempting to keep my Kundalini down instead of working with it
as it rises. Another thing on the long list of 'shoulds' that I have
but for a myriad of reasons don't respect and listen to.

Clear as mud? It is hard to put it into words since the essence of
Kundalini is not able to be quantified by the limits of language.


Thanks for letting me share this with you.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home

/body>